This thick and hearty veggie chili get creaminess from peanut butter and plant-strong protein from beans to power you through your day. Only $0.52 a bowl!
- 2 medium onions
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 cans beans ((your choice; we like pinto, kidney and/or great northern beans))
- 1 15 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar or white sugar
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- In a large stockpot, sauté onion in cooking spray or water over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add water and reduce heat to low.
- Rinse and drain 1 can of beans. Add to pot. Add second can of beans with their liquid.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, garlic powder, and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat. Stir in peanut butter. If chili is too thick, add water until desired thickness is reached.
- Delicious topped with a scoop of cooked brown rice!
Want to make this recipe go even further? Try adding some veggies you have on hand! Toss in some frozen corn, chopped bell pepper, or chopped zucchini to make an even heartier version.
Source: Veggie Quest